Thursday, November 18, 2021

You're all over the place.

 I had an interview today. Not for a job but for a 12-session course by a doctor who was willing to teach selected 7-8 people for free. He asked me why I picked this course? I had no good answer. I was blank. He asked me why he should pick me? Blank. Completely phased out. He said you're all over the place. You spent time in surgery and now you're back in dentistry. What do you really want? Is this how real life interviews are? Here at the clinic I just went one day to meet GM, introduced myself, told him what I could do and he's like I'm sorry there isn't a vacancy right now but I'll keep you in mind. The very next day I get a call that a spot's opened up and can you join Monday? That's it. 

The other interviews I've given have been the government job ones. In which your credentials and record matter more than what you actually bring to the interview, I guess. I gave one in 2020 in which I got selected for the only post out of a hundred plus. And I remember the interview was quite a lot about general knowledge and stuff like name three cities of Balochistan (which I couldn't). Nobody asked real life questions there. Today, I was shook.

He was very afraid that people wouldn't commit and would just leave after a session or two. I think he was projecting his fears onto me. I didn't see the humility that I like and would want in a mentor. But maybe vigilance is essential when you want to acquire talent. But he wasn't really looking for talent, the advertisement was just that he wanted to teach people for free. He had short listed me, so why didn't he make it easy? I haven't been able to stop thinking about.

You're all over the place. That's going to stay with me for a while. 

No comments:

To hurrying slowly.

Talks with Mamoo scare me. During the latest, he argued that all religion is basically man made, prophets were just great philosophers and t...